Monday, September 24, 2007

Conjugating verbs

Yes it's hard work.... for people who dislike learning grammar, the mountainous landscape of the irregular verbs and their conjugations hold many fears (although I get a kind of satisfaction from from engaging with them). Sad, I know, but there it is. So all of us spanish learners carry around our little verb books which rarely we can be bothered to retreive from our pockets and bags, covered in lint or sticky stuff from snacks, to pore over the pages to find a verb that's similar to the one in which we're interested. Much better to look up the little blighters online from the comfort of our chair in front of our computers.

This is where the joy of the Compjugador comes in - it's an online database of over 10,000 spanish verbs containing the full conjugation of each. I use it the to look up verbs if I'm not sure of where the irregularity will crop up or if I've forgotten a particular verb tense. One of the things I really like about it is how it highlights in bold where the irregularity in the verb is to be found. Try typing rogar into the search box to see what I mean. (I bought one of the aforementioned little books once, which did not highlight the irregular verb elements and consequently it never got used, although I did shout at it rather a lot).

The Compjugador tool is created by Daniel M. German, an assistant professor at the University of Victoria, but is based on a database compiled by Jaime Suances-Torres who's site has masses of additional information for those obsessed with Spanish verbs (I'm not quite in this class yet, but am showing worrying tendencies...)

For example, this 'Los 101 modelos de conjugaciĆ³n en espaƱol' looks particularly intersting - I just wish I knew what it really all means...think I'll put that project off to another day.










No comments: